Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Home Made Laundry Detergent...and a wip


I have been working on and off as time allows on my new pattern using the African Flower Hexagon. Above you can see a sneak peek at the wip...I have really enjoyed working with the red yarn, and of course, had to add some pink in... :)

Some feedback on the Home Made Laundry Detergent. IT ROCKS!!!!! Well, I was a bit hesitant, thinking (stupidly!) that if it cost so little to make, it couldn't do the same job as the regular stuff. It works like a charm! I have given some to my sister and mom, and so far my sister has given it a thumbs up... Mom, I still have to chat to about how she found it works :)

I did a costing exercise for you all to see...

Borax R9.99 for half a cup
Washing Soda R6.25 for half a cup
Sunlight bar of soap R5.00

So...total cost of making a very concentrated 10L bucket = R21.24

At the very least, I will do around 80 loads of washing with 10L....so the cost = R0.26 per load!!!!!

I have used half a cup of the concentrate for a load of washing. As it is really thick, I have watered it down with about 500mls of water. It really works very well. I am decidedly not buying the regular stuff anymore...after all, why spend money on that which goes down the drain?

I am going to try my hand at making soap this weekend...again, using Rhonda's recipe. This blog is awesome...go and take a look around :)

Any good ideas for cost saving that you've tried? I'd love to know :)

♥Heidi

5 comments:

K said...

There is a caveat: especially with high efficiency washers, you have to be very careful you don't over-soap. On the small side, the soap doesn't wash out properly and that can lead to skin conditions. But on the large side, you may get anything from suds lock - which is not a pleasant thing to recover from, or worse and end up having the plumber out to try to put your machine back to rights.

With our front loader, we use only two Tablespoons of the HE detergent, as opposed to the half cup or so recommended. So you have to be scientific about your concentration and amounts

Marlies said...

i'm about just that far on the bear! mine will only be a little bit bigger where youre smallest needle is 1.0 mine is 2.0

Greetings Marlies

Nicole said...

http://knitnpearl.blogspot.com

Hello,

Here is the bag website I told you about today.

Nicole

AC said...

OK, I have to ask...what's an R? How does it compare to dollars/pounds?

LuAnn said...

I just found a crocheted hexagon in with some of my yarn and remembered it is an African Flower...but it didn't look like the rest on Ravelry. I ended up on your blog post with your tutorial. After seeing your wonderful step by step instructions, I realized mine looks different because I changed yarn every round and that causes me to lose the "petal" look. I also like your addition of the extra round. I know the tutorial took time to write, and I just wanted you to know that it is still helping over a year later. Thanks.